Sunday, February 21, 2010

Brand Profile: Viktor and Rolf

If nothing else, I think that Viktor and Rolf's bold retail and product design has brought he brand prominence. For example, their flagship Milan boutique has definitely put them on the fashion map.  The original, fantasy-like upside down plan has caught the eye of the entire industry. Seriously, have you ever seen an upside-down classically columned designer boutique before? It is a beautiful sight, and I believe the unique store design helps consumers remember this company. 
Next, I believe Viktor and Rolf's differentiation in design aesthetic brings them more attention in the market and industry. Their designs are infused with surrealism and fine art, which sets them apart from other designers in the industry. There are only a few designers who I believe fall into the same category as Viktor and Rolf, with ideas such as light fixtures attached to models, pulling at the garments they're wearing. 
As for competing in the marketplace, I think Viktor and Rolf do a great job at keeping their website up to date with the times. It is fully interactive, beautiful, and interesting. As for everything else they do marketing-wise, I'm not so sure. 


One important thing that I've always felt about this brand is that they are a bit humble and under the radar. So, I tend to believe that they are doing a bit poorly with using emerging marketing trends. You almost never see an ad campaign by Viktor and Rolf on the back of any fashion magazine. In addition, I've never seen any commericals for any of their fragrances (only ad campaigns exist). The only commercial that I could find in my research was one for their collaboration with H&M, which I had never ever seen before. 

(and it's so cute, right?)

At first, I thought that maybe Viktor and Rolf stay under the radar to prevent their brand from blowing up into the mass market, but then I reazlied that they indeed had a collection with H&M. But, perhaps this is all they want. They have clients and their designs are photographed by fantastic photographers for brilliant magazines. In addition, they have a loyal fan base, may it be big or small. So, maybe they are comfortable and happy with where they are at? For improvement, I would suggest for the brand to create and advertise their brand in magazine ad campaigns. They could play up the twin idea with their garments, models, etc. I would love to see more of their original ideas on glossy pages! It would be something exciting, fresh, and would always remind me to check up on the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment