Friday, February 12, 2010

Long Live McQueen

It is still difficult for me to write an entry about the death of one of my all-time favorite fashion designers, Alexander McQueen. In fact, I neglected writing it until late tonight because I am still a bit in shock from hearing the news this morning, and still don't want to accept that he's gone.

I first discovered McQueen around the age fifteen, the same age that I first really became interested in fashion and viewing runway collections. His S/S 2005 show amazed me, from the innovation of his designs, the direction of the show, and the interaction between Lily Donaldson and Gemma Ward. In 2007, I visited NYC for the first time and viewed an exhibit loaded with McQueen originals at the MET. There, I saw my favorite piece (adorned by Gemma in the show). I stood and stared in amazement at the beauty and perfection of this dress. It scooped, scalloped, and wove around in a bubble on the thighs. It is a moment I will never forget. And, from that moment, he always made me feel like anything was possible with fashion.

Since then, McQueen has always been unstoppable to me. Each show he presented us with was original and with a new theme than the previous collections. He truly was a visionary. I quote what one of my instructors said today, "If you don't get moved by McQueen, you don't love fashion."

Now, we can celebrate his life and what he gave us, as individuals, small fashion communities, and the entire industry. Lee, thank you for your beautifully proportioned gowns, holograms of Kate Moss, gorgeous set design, and abstract headpieces. Thank you for your bold, fresh, and inspiring textiles, and your lovely beadwork. Thank you for your MAC collaboration and the fantastic new ideas you provided us with in the makeup looks from each collection. Thank you for something emotional, deep, and and purely elegant.

RIP Alexander McQueen.
Industry sends regards for McQueen @ Fashionologie
Love,
The Ram
PS: What I learned today: 1. Designers, (even your favorite ones) are not immortal. and 2. Fashion has more emotion in it than you think.
(Now, of course, a photo montage...)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment